Monday, September 30, 2013

Introduction

Because I'm going to be a granny who hopes to pass on the love of reading to her grandbaby, and some things from the past should be saved, I've started another blog. Welcome to Read Shaded Glasses. I'm a midlifer who loves multicultural literature for children and teens.  Initially what you'll see here is the motivation behind this blog, Blasts From The Past.

Blast From the Past will be a primary feature here because a few years ago, I wrote for two dynamic blogs and communities that celebrated multicultural literature.

More often than I'm going to admit, I revisted Color Online and Black-Eyed Susan's. While I had no desire to ressurect these blogs (and I couldn't since I had forgotten my passwords) nor did I want to recreate what I had done, I did desperately want to preserve the treasure trove we had amassed. We had built an amazing community and resource for those writing and reading multicultural literature.

Blast From The Past is a sampling of that bounty. These posts are previously published blogs written by me or contributors who gave permission. I have linked to both blogs so you can enjoy what other contributors shared. I especially hope you will revisit Color Online.  Leave comments when you have time. My hope is that hits on the site will extend its life. Blast From The Past, will be my personal effort to archive wonderful resources: books to be enjoyed. Yes, you can expect new snapshots as well. There are so many books and so little time before I have a child to read to.

Happy reading,

3 comments:

  1. I have an abiding love of Children's Lit, as a teacher and parent and bibliophile. I am always looking for good titles so I shall surely check out your blog.
    A title that works well with young teens (or tweens) is Nobody's Family is Going to Change by Louise Fitzhugh. It challenges many stereotypes from gender to race. The novel, Holes, by Louis Sachar raises many questions about mixed relationships and prejudice. I use both texts in my multi-cultural classes and they are very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry, thanks for coming by. Very happy to have a teacher dropping by. By the way, love your new pic.

    ReplyDelete

This is an interactive site. Let's talk books.