Monday, September 30, 2013

Blast from the past

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams Garcia. I love this author's work and this book is no exception. Do check out the video clip at Zetta Eliott's blog. I was twenty pages shy of finishing when I made the same mistake of sharing a book too soon. I told a friend of my daughter's how much I enjoyed it. Actually, she had come to see my daughter and while waiting she noticed the book on the hallway bookcase ( my daughter's friends often eye my books and then shyly they will sometimes ask to borrow one). I watched her her read the book titles and I knew she was going to ask. I started to say let me finish but I couldn't risk her not coming back (she's actually a regular reader and likely would ask) but I seize all opportunities to give kids books.

2 comments:

  1. Children's books are some of my favorites, but I had a hard time, when Riley was little, finding biracial and gender-nonexclusive books for her. She would complain that all the people in Dr. Seuss books were white, and "how come the men don't look like Uncle Christopher, you know what I mean?"

    Gretchen Leary just completed a children's book that is a slow but fun introduction to the "other-minded," as she is an Aspie. I loved it so much I bought a copy.

    "Miranda on the High-Wire," while being Anglocentric, is an enchanting story for the 8-12 crowd... Look forward to more! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you will find every shade here. I read any book that is a good read. The focus here is to highlight what parents like you couldn't find.

    ReplyDelete

This is an interactive site. Let's talk books.